As with all aspects of teenage life, there are many risks to your teeth and gums that can occur as a teen. The secret to sidestepping these risks is to exercise caution at all times and make the correct decisions so that your wonderful smile has a chance to thrive for decades to come. Here are some tips for treating your teeth well as a teen:
– Avoid mouth jewelry, because it poses serious oral health hazards, as it can chip and crack teeth, break off and become a choking risk, as well as enter the skin and lead to infections and disease.
– Your smile is at risk as a teen due to contact sports and similar high-risk activities, so always seek to use the appropriate safety gear and equipment.
– Drugs can harm your teeth, gums, and life as a teen, so avoid it at all costs.
– Given the fact that smoking and chewing tobacco often first become rampant as the result of peer pressure as a teen, it is important to avoid these vices as soon as they present themselves.
– When you are in your teens, the last of your permanent adult teeth grow in, the wisdom teeth, which are notorious for growing in improperly and leading to malocclusions.
Always make time in your life to visit your dentist at Paul R. Downing, DMD, PC for a bi-annual professional cleaning, and if necessary, to book an appointment with Dr. Paul R. Downing, DMD for a detailed exam of your oral health. You can reach our dentist office in Columbia, South Carolina, by calling us at 803-736-9991. Let us help you get a safer, healthier smile today!